Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Runner's Journey : The in Between Times

Stop and listening quietly. You know what that is? That is the sound of good recovery going on over here at The Runner's Journey. I am eyeing the new Encinitas Half Marathon as a goal for next year and the Silver Strand Half Marathon this year in the fall. In between that time The Journey is at the gym and on the plate working on keeping the muscles strong and new, plus fueling them with the best nutrients I can afford.

As a man over 50 I am well aware that I can no longer out run Father Time
or the Grim Reaper.
but like it says "Make him work for it" It is my believe that through a good, smart, active lifestyle , proper nutrients and good sleep one can fight back against both these Realities. In my reading I've learned much about free radicals and their role in aging. The short story is these free radicals are swirling through your body trying to destroy your good cells or damage them. When that happens the cells reproduces damaged and on the aging goes., What cleanses the body of free radicals? Antioxidants.Click there and ready about them. So taking anti-oxidants can and will slow down the aging process. Where does one find them? Here is a list of just some of the big sources. 
Top 10 High Antioxidant Foods List
    • 1) Goji berries.
    • 2) Wild blueberries. 
    • 3) Dark Chocolate. 
    • 4) Pecans. 
    • 5) Artichoke. 
    • 6) Elderberries. 
    • 7) Kidney Beans. 
    • 8) Cranberries. 
Those are a few foods. All berries and fruits are full of them. I make a post workout smoothie with blackberries,cherries,strawberries,blueberries,hemp seed protein, yogurt,blackberries and a banana. I might also put chia seeds in there. Those are their own separate subject. 
That is how I use anti-oxidants to fight back against the inevitable. Why fight? For me the answer is I want to be mobile in this world as long as possible and the only way to do that is take care of the machine now. 

This combined with  running and other active lifestyle changes are what I consider a good plan for longevity. It is never too late to start to stop the free radical damage. Live at your most optimal in the present moment where ever you are on your personal timeline because the future you will be so thankful that you did. 
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment