Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Drinker vs The Runner

The Drinker vs The Runner
by Scott Campbell


      In 1998 I found myself single again with two children that depended on me and an ex wife. I was 32 and everything I thought  was going to happen in the future suddenly wasn't going to happen. At least not the way I imagined it would. I was a drinker at that time. A rather heavy one too. I was not a runner yet. That was to awaken soon. 
      In the beginning of 1999 I got a DUI. I decided to change. It was then the Runner awakened. I decided to turn my bad luck into a catalyst for change. I was going to become a Runner! I lived down in Mission Valley at the time, right next to The San Diego River. A beautiful bike path went all through the valley right along the river. It was going to be perfect,I thought. 

 It was perfect except I could only run a 1/2 mile at the time and would walk back from my run sometimes with a cigarette lit and smoked. I would also wash the run down with a good 12 pack . The Runner was losing that battle but once awakened The Runner refused to sleep and never admitted defeat to The Drinker.
      I drifted for a couple years with The Drinker still in the driver's seat. It wasn't until the year 2001 that I felt The Runner stir deep within me. He had been waiting and planning his return. Patiently letting The Drinker do his damage. I was living with a girlfriend at the time and she brought a treadmill along with her. The Runner saw this as a sign to return from my subconsciousness where it had been working on the real changes that would come. I decided to begin a running plan using the treadmill as my training ground. I was really embarrassed to be seen running . I am not an out of shape man and I wasn't then but ....I could not run.....and I felt like I was too old to be starting this sport. I WAS ONLY 35!!!!!
      I started with my half mile on there. I then added another half mile. After a few weeks I could run a whole mile without stopping so I decided to take that show outside and let the world see this new runner. During that time I didn't search the Internet about running, I didn't read books about running and I didn't have any running friends but one. So I naturally or instinctively began adding miles until I came to a pivotal day. I was going to run 10 miles and I did. I can still remember the feeling of having to push myself. I can feel the heaviness in my legs the burning of my lungs and I can still feel the joy and pride I felt as I came to the end of what became a legendary run in my story as The Runner 

That was how I felt. The Runner had won those battle to 10 miles but The Drinker wasn't going down without a fight. The problem with The Drinker was he thought it acceptable to destroy everything before he lost the war. 
Come Back Soon 
The Drinker vs The Runner will continue

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment