Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Long Slow Distance Run

First off here is a little insight into my daily running schedule.

I woke up this morning with a 5 mike LSD ( long slow distance) ahead of me. I had a glass of water with a little unfiltered apple cider vinegar and some Himalayan salt. I use that to get my metabolism going . I find it works good. I debated whether to run this morning or wait till later today. I made the right choice and decided to run. After getting some stretching in I began my run. I felt really good and believe y base is setting back up. I am ready to train. I ran really slow . 

  • 5 miles
  • time:57.35
  • pace:11;29
  • calories burned 755
Remember "slow " slow is relative to each runner. I am aiming my blog towards the folks who are just starting so slow is probably pretty slow. So with that said. Why is running a long slow distance in your training good?

Benefits of the slow long run

  1. .Here is the one I like the best. The long slow run is the best way to produce that runners high. 
  2. It conditions the joints and muscles giving them the stamina to go long distances.
  3. It helps the cardiovascular system learn to adapt and deliver the increased oxygen to your muscles. 
  4. Helps your mind wrap itself around the idea of running long distances boosting your confidence. 
  5. strengthens the heart increases blood supply
  6. pushes the body to use fat as energy ( we like this !)
  7. conditions your body to use that energy more efficiently.


No comments:

Post a Comment